From the remote control ONLY:
Take your position where you listen to the
• Make sure speaker cables are connected firmly.
Press and hold SMART SURROUND SETUP
until “SETTING UP” flashes.
Left front speaker
Right front speaker
RS: Right surround speaker
SB: Surround back speaker
LS: Left surround speaker
When “CLAP YOUR HANDS.” appears, clap
your hands over your head once while the
indications still remain.
• On the display, “SETTING UP” stops flashing.
The receiver starts detecting the level of the sound coming
through each speaker (except the subwoofer).
To obtain the best possible sound effect from Surround/DSP
modes (see pages 34 to 39), you need to set up the speaker and
subwoofer information after all the connections are completed.
From pages 16 to 25, how to set speakers and other basic items
of the receiver are explained.
Setting the speaker information
automatically—Smart Surround Setup
The distance from your listening point to the speakers is one of
the important elements to obtain the best possible sound effect
from the Surround/DSP modes.
By using Smart Surround Setup, the following are automatically
calculated by one simple action—clapping hands.
• Speaker distance (compared to that of the closest speaker)
• Speaker output level (except the subwoofer)
• Before starting Smart Surround Setup, set the speaker
information correctly (SMALL, LARGE, or NO) according to your
speakers except the subwoofer (see page 21).
• The speakers which are set to “NO” in the speaker setting (see
page 21) are not indicated clearly on the TV screen.
• When the setting is made by Smart Surround Setup, the
speaker distance and output level you have set before will be
• You can see the setting process on the TV screen and the
display during Smart Surround Setup. If you have turned off the
display, cancel the Dimmer (see page 15); otherwise, you
cannot see the information on the display.
• Smart Surround Setup will not be done correctly if you or other
object blocks the sound.
• When you change your speakers, do the following procedure
In this section, the on-screen display on the TV screen is used
• The on-screen display does not appear on the TV screen
when connecting the TV through the COMPONENT
MONITOR OUT jacks (see page 10).
When operating the receiver using the remote control,
set the mode selector to “AUDIO/TV/VCR/DBS.”
SMART SURROUND SETUP
L C R